Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Lizzy Hedger has a cold



By Brian C. Hedger
Hedgeradventures blogger dude

Talk to most purveyors of fine writing long enough, and sooner or later you're bound to talk about what is supposedly the best magazine article ever written.

"Frank Sinatra Has a Cold," was published by Esquire in 1966 and written by legendary writer Gay Telese.

I have a photocopied version of it laying around our bedroom somewhere, and I keep telling myself that I'm going to read it start to finish some day. Anyway, from what I've gathered of the piece in the small bits I have read, Talese gets unbelievable access to the world's most famous and influential crooner ... who, as chance would have it, has a cold.

Well, sometimes in life you just have to settle for the next best thing. And since neither of us have read "Frank Sinatra Has a Cold" from start to finish, we're doing the next best thing.

We're living the experience with our four-year-old daughter.

Lizzy Hedger has a cold.

Also, so does my wife -- who is at this very second mocking me in her "Brian voice" about how I'm probably going to write that because they are sick, I'll be sick next.

Well, even though she's 100 percent correct on that one ... I'd just like to say, for the record, that I AM now doomed to contract the most horrific, hideously grotesque strain known to man of what I'm now calling "The Lizzy Virus."

And if that happens?

Look out world. It ain't gonna be pretty.

Let's just say that we Hedgers-by-birth don't exactly deal well with colds (or any illnesses).

The runny noses. The sneezing. The pounding headaches. All the shiny, happy, people who aren't sick carrying on with their disgustingly happy, shiny lives whilst we lie around in sick bay.

It is not a lot of fun. Not for us. Not for those around us. Not for those in a 100 mile radius around us. You get the picture.

"Boy, that kid is not easy to deal with when she's sick," Lisa said tonight, upon snapping off a few photos of the main patient.

What can I say ... she got it from me.

About an hour ago, for example, Liz had a meltdown because she didn't want to take any liquid Tylenol (and only relented when told the alternative was letting her fever grow horribly out of control to the point where we'd eventually have to take her to the ER and get ... a SHOT!

Now, I know any RNs or doctors who might happen upon this post will cringe at reading that, but I have to tell you ... when it comes to getting this kid to take her medicine, no amount of coaxing works.

Fear of getting a SHOT (IN ALL CAPS)? Now that works.

Of course, we're totally hosed when the time comes that she actually does have to get a shot ... but that's a big picture, long-term worry, right?

We'll deal with that meltdown when absolutely necessary.

For now, Lizzy Hedger has a cold.

And, believe me, that's all that matters in the entire world. Just ask her. She'll tell you -- right after she demands, in between sniffles, to be picked up.

As always, here are some more Lizzy pics.



Even with a cold, the smile still finds its way to the fore ... aww.



I know. You're wondering: "Geeze, does the girl ever NOT smile?" Yes.



See, I told you. (Courtesy of Portsmouth, Va.)




Now, that's more like it. (Also Virginia)

7 comments:

Kim said...

Awwwww...I feel so bad for her. She looks like she has a stuffy little head. Poor thing. She is such a cutie even through it all. Don't feel bad about threatening for a shot-anything that works right????

Destini said...

Tell Lizzy that we think she is still adorable, cold or not! Have you tried the "meltaways"? Taylor thinks they are special candy, I guess they taste like bubblegum or grape or something, but she will take them without any fight.

Jennifer said...

Even with a cold she's a charmer. Get better quick Lizzy and try not to give your cold to daddy.

Brian Hedger said...

Indeed, she does seem to "cute" her way through life so far -- even the tough stuff like colds.

Today she was more herself, but it always gets worse at night.

And, alas, it has. We'll have to try those "meltaways."

If we can convince her they're candy ... then all we'll have to worry about is hiding them from her when she's not sick!

Also, it's Day Two and no sickness for Dad. Yet. That will probably change, though.

Becky said...

Poor kiddo! I am with her though, colds SUCK!! Hope everyone is feeling better soon!

I am so amused every time I ready your blog! Would you mind if I add you to mine?

Tonya said...

I hope your feeling better Liz and Lisa!! I hope you have avoided the boogy monster Brian!! I have a method to not getting sick...staying as far away from the ill ones!! Even if it means changing a diaper with a ten foot pole because I will. Illness shuts down my house so, BRAIN, STAY FAR AWAY!!!

Brian Hedger said...

So far, so good Tonya. I have stayed a good distance away ... most of the time ... and still healthy.

But let's face it.

With Lisa and Liz's combined cuteness quotient, one can only stay so far away -- even under siege from The Lizzy Virus.