Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Weight Gain

Today, I had one of those unbelievable conversations. Brian always maintains that people say the most remarkable things to me, and this is the perfect example.

I was in the city today and I had an OBGYN appointment and afterward I went to a nearby juice bar for a turkey sandwich and mango smoothie. After I placed my order, and was quietly waiting for the smoothie, the college-aged young lady behind the counter said to me: "Is it true you get weight gain when you're on the pill?"

Huh? My immediate thought was she thinks my baby bump was created by eating a few too many donuts and the birth control pill. Oh No! Do I need to start wearing those cheesy shirts that say: "One in the Oven" and "Passenger on Board?"

Finally, after I was able to respond, she did seem to realize I was pregnant and apparently that's why she felt comfortable asking me the question. I guess she thought that as a pregnant woman I should know all about weight gain - on the pill - off the pill, etc.. Or, perhaps she thought that pregnant women are just experts in all types of female related-issues.

She's not the only one to make these types of comments. I'm now at the official part of pregnancy where these "fun" comments are just rolling in.

A few weeks ago, when I mentioned to another pregnant woman at a store that I was pregnant her response was: "Oh, I couldn't tell at all." Now, I don't really believe that because I certainly look like I have a bun in the oven - as the shirts say.

But then, the same day in the same shirt, our insurance saleswoman made the comment: "Wow, you've really popped" which is a polite way of saying: "You're GIGANTIC. You're just HUGE."

Now, I KNOW that I have to post pictures so you can all judge for yourselves. They're on the way...just as soon as I can find the fire wire to download the pictures.

4 comments:

QGIRL said...

This reminds me of when I very obviously pregnant with Matthew a young man, he was maybe 20 years old, came up to me as I was leaving the train station one morning and asked me how I knew I was pregnant. He went on to say that his girlfriend thinks she is pregnant, but what do they need to do to know for sure.
I looked him up and down and stopped to talk to him (I wasn't sure if he was trying to mug me or if he was serious) anyway, I suppose considering my condition I was the expert in his eyes. I simply said, How about trying a home pregnancy test? By the look on his face he had obviously NEVER thought of it. So funny. He was so stunned he stopped in his tracks and I left him standing there pondering the obvious and continued on my way to work.

Tonya said...

LOL....Oh Lisa! Well, we have to acknowledge they are a part of the human race.... ;-)

Jennifer said...

People do say some amazing things don't they! No filters at all. Can't wait to see pictures!

Kim said...

Pregnancy makes people think they can ask you anything. I would be on line at the drug sotre and someone would ask if I was planning on breastfeeding. It's like wait one second I don't even know you do you think I am going to discuss my boobs with you? I am sure you look radiant. I cannot wait to see pregnancy photos!