Search This Blog

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Kindergarten here we come

It is truly hard to believe that Liz will be starting Kindergarten on Aug. 19. The last weeks have remained crazy as we've tried to hurry and prepare the house for Baby Chance's arrival and prepare Liz for school.

She had registration last week and Brian took her and it went as well as can be expected with him describing it as a nightmare panic-inducing trip. As I said, it went as well as can be expected.

On Friday, we met with her principal and did the "walk-through" to discuss what types of adaptations we'd need for the school. This actually did go quite well. I know Liz is the first Little Person student to attend the elementary. So, I was worried about how they'd react, but the principal even had considered some issues I hadn't - such as a stool by the chalk board if the teacher has students write on the chalk board.

I'd gone to the LPA website beforehand and saw a check-list of accommodation issues and modified that list and gave it to the principal. I also wrote a one-page letter to the teacher which he said he'd pass around to all of her teachers (music, PE, etc..). And, finally I gave them a one-page fact-sheet that I'd modified from several achondroplasia fact sheets you can find on the web.

May seem like a lot of paperwork, but it's only 3 pages and I tried to make it very easy to read and focused on simple concepts.

Everything in the class can be accommodated quite easily with step stools. For now, she's fine letting her feet dangle from the chair, but I think that will likely change. When it does, we'll just get a stool for her feed. She can actually even reach a few of the drinking fountains in the hallway, which is great too!

Our only two issues are the cafeteria and the bus. The kids slide their trays along this long counter in the cafeteria to get food and it's way too high for Liz to reach. If we had a stool, it would have to be about 6-feet-long to reach the entire length of the cafeteria counter, plus very wide so that she could walk across it. So, for now we'll have someone in the cafeteria help her. I'd prefer her to be independent but for now, I think this will work.

Now, the bus is another issue too. I'm concerned about the HUGE first step on the bus. We're still debating and might walk her to school because it's only a few blocks. However, she does want to take the bus so I'd like to figure out a plan so she can take the bus. Brian or I can help her on the bus from our home, but then someone would need to help her off when she gets to school and help her on again at the end of the school day.

Liz is very excited about starting Kindergarten and our school did something new this year which was a HUGE help for incoming Kindergartners. They held a weekly summer program for 2 1/2 hours and split the children by age. So, Liz got to meet lots of other students as well as the teachers. She spent time in the school and got a great feel for the school. She's also quite comfortable with the school and by the second week, the principal knew her name.

The principal is very jovial and approachable to the students -giving them high-fives and joking with them a lot. He was also very candid in saying that we might have to make adjustments throughout the year and we agreed saying that could likely occur too.

Ideally, Baby Chance will wait until Aug. 24 so I can be there for Liz's first day of Kindergarten or if he decides to come early then we want it to be this week so I'll be back home for Kindergarten, but you just never know!

My doctor has essentially said that now since I'm 37 weeks pregnant, Baby can come any day. So, we'll see. As you can imagine, Liz is just so excited about being a big sister! I'm not sure what she's more excited about - Kindergarten or being a big sister - probably a close tie.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

How wonderful that Liz is so excited! You have a very busy few weeks ahead of you :-) I hope her first day goes great. So nice to hear that the school and principal are very accomodating!

Caden and Mommy said...

Wow, What an exciting time for you guys!!! I can't wait to see all of the adorable upcoming pictures of kindergarten and baby :0)
Thanks for sharing your accomodations and what you did for your letters! I know my time will be here before I know it - yikes

Jennifer said...

Believe it or not Owen will be taking the school bus to preschool this year! I couldn't believe it when they said he'd have to be able to get on and off himself. And guess what...he did it like a little champ. They brought a step stool, a Matt Roloff stool actually and put it down and up he went like it was no big deal. Have the school district bring a bus by your house for a practice run. Have so much fun in Kindergarten Liz! I know you'll blow them away. Maybe I can get Cat to post the video of the big bus adventure. It's really pretty cute!

Kim said...

Lisa-can Liz have a "bus buddy" A student she picks to help her out on and off the bus-only until she feels comfortable? I had a school buddy when I started a new school-just to help me get accomodated! She has a lot of excitement this month with school and her new baby brother coming at any time! YAY! Feel good!

... said...

Such big stuff on the horizon! Wow! I'm so excited for you guys. It sounds like you did a great job of giving the school & teachers a sense of what achondroplasia is all about & what adjustments can be made to help make things a little easier for Liz.

Well, take care & I hope Chance hangs on for a little longer!