Search This Blog

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Mommy, I can't hear you!

It became quite apparent to us in the last month that Liz simply can't hear us. At first, I thought it was "selective" hearing loss.

For instance, I might say, "Liz, I need you to clean up your room." Her response: "Mommy, I can't hear you."

Sure, you can't hear me, I thought. Of course you can hear me.

Well, it became very obvious that in fact she can't hear me because no matter what I say, she can't hear me most of the time. A lot of times, she doesn't even respond to me simply because she can't even hear me talking.

It also became clear at school. Often times, we'd be walking into her school and a friend behind us, would say hello. She wouldn't even respond because she couldn't hear them. Her teacher even commented about this to me.

So, we took her to Children's Memorial in Chicago two weeks ago to see her Ear Nose Throat doctor and got her hearing tested. It was confirmed that she has moderate hearing loss on the left side and severe loss on the right side. They also said that with her hearing loss it would be a huge safety issue in the summer because her hearing is so bad she won't be able to hear vehicles behind her.

The doctor believes the culprit is a huge amount of fluid in her ears from an ear infection in January. So, we're going to do the surgery for tubes early tomorrow morning and are anticipating her hearing should return to normal again.

I'm a bit worried because she has a cough and we all know how strict the doctors are about not doing surgery on kids if they even have a sniffle. However, her pediatrician is convinced the cough is being caused by the fluid and the cough won't go away until the ear fluid goes away.

She's had tubes before - and all has gone well - so we're hopeful that the same will be true this time.

And most importantly, I'm looking forward to her hearing again so we don't have to practically shout around the house.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just said a little prayer for Liz and your family. We'll be thinking about y'all and pray that all goes well tomorrow.
Love,
Fran

Alex said...

keep us posted! Sending you guys positive thoughts!

QGIRL said...

Good luck tomorrow. Hopefully, the third time around (for tubes)is a charm!

Catie said...

Aww, poor Liz! We will be praying that everything goes well and Liz will be hearing normally soon.

The Johnson Family 5 said...

Oh wow! Sending lots of prayers and thoughts your way. Keep us posted on how Liz does. Thank you for your words of encouragement. We all need that now and again!

Destini said...

Trace wants Liz to know that the whole tube thing isn't too bad (even the second time around) - you get to be a star at the hospital, and Mommy and Daddy are really really nice all day! Hope things go well and Liz is "all ears" once again!

Unknown said...

Good luck Liz, we'll be thinking of you!

Jennifer said...

I'll be keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers! Good luck to all!

Kim said...

I am printing this blog entry out. Only because Preston suffered from fluid and his fluid was causing hearing loss. I anticipate these tubes are falling out at some point and the new doc was like-we'll just wait and see. Argh. And isn't this Liz's third or fourth set? I need a very proactive ENT down here like I had in NY. I was stuck with a very un-proactive one for too long.
My thoughts and prayers are with you guys and I know Liz will be up and running in no time flat! (And now she has no excuse for not cleaning that room)!

Caden and Mommy said...

Lisa!
That is so cute in sad little way :-( Lizzy really couldn't hear you :-) I'm glad you guys got her into the doctor! Hoping those tubes will clear things right up ~ and all goes well with the procedure! I will be thinking of you guys!
Trisha