Search This Blog

Monday, December 28, 2009

It's all about the hair!

Three days before Christmas, I finally understood why Liz so badly wanted a Barbie Repunzel this year. It was her No. 1 gift request and she mentioned it no fewer than about 20 times a day. She mentioned it in her letters to Santa and to every single person she saw - who she thought might have some ability to pursade the Big Man to give her a Barbie Repunzel.

Turns out, she's really in a hair phase. For those of you who don't know - Barbie Repunzel is a Barbie doll complete with an array of long hair, short hair, and even hair clippers to cut and trim Barbie's hair.

Again, I really should have known what was coming. But there it was, three days before Christmas and Liz walks into my room with this sheepish grin. Immediately from that grin I knew she had done something bad. I look carefully at her and see that a HUGE chunk of hair on her right side is missing. Yes, she cut her hair. In retrospect, it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been.

But it still required an emergency hair-cut appointment two days before Christmas. And, oddly enough the mood at the salon was very tense. All of the stylists know Liz and chat and talk with her. Not this time. I had forewarned them of the major hair incident and the mood was eerily quiet.

We could have kept her hair long and used "short area" to frame the face, but she was ready to go short. So, the stylist cut about 5 inches off her length. I actually think it looks quite cute.

But it took a long time, as I expected - a full hour. At one point, Liz said: "It didn't take me this long to cut my hair."

At which point, both I and the stylist explained that it was quick for her because she's NOT a professional and didn't do it properly. Ah, another one of those teaching lessons.

I took a picture of her with my cell phone when she cut it, and Brian best describes it as a police mug shot. I texted it to my mom who promptly replied that she laughed so hard she had tears in her eyes. In other words, I think you'll get a kick out of it.

Here's that mug shot...errrr picture of her when she cut her hair. Look on the right side.




Here's the new do, complete with a similar grumpy expression and of course, a chocolate mustache. Priceless.




Ah, yes, Christmas morning wouldn't be complete without her Barbie. At first, I thought this was Barbie Repunzel, but this was her 2nd most-requested gift the Barbie Musketeer. I wanted to post this one because it shows how cute her hair looks - and yes, we get a smile. Don't worry - she did get a Barbie Repunzel and we chatted for a long time about how she should not cut her hair until she receives proper taining.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You understand this was part of her master plan of conning you into taking her to get a hot new 'do, right?

World. Domination. I keep telling you guys ...

Kim said...

She looks precious! I do love the mug shot picture too! Adorable. I think all kids go through a "cut my own hair" phase. Hopefully though she will not take matters into her own hands now that she has Barbie! Hope you guys had a wonderful holiday! Happy New Year!

Destini said...

Wow, she did take a chunk out! Her new short do is really cute though! Taylor also got a Musketeer Barbie! My cousin cut her hair several times, to the point that her mom finally refused to take her to get it fixed and made her go around looking ridiculous for like 2 weeks to teach her a lesson!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! What a story, and just two days before Christmas! I am absolutely dreading the day that Grace decides to give herself a trim...and I know it is inevitable!! Liz looks great with her new style!

Caden and Mommy said...

Oh Lisa ... why just before Christmas? I guess the positive of all of it is the end result is ADORABLE! Liz is too cute!

Anonymous said...

Tell Liz cute 'do! I have a very similar post I'm about to do for Anna. She cut herself some bangs, but it's actually a pretty subtle cut compared to Liz! Thanks for the cute post.
Happy New Year!
Fran

... said...

Liz is so funny. I love the new 'do (and the mugshot). Very cute!