Search This Blog

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Conversations with a 3-year-old

I always say that I never know what's going to come out of Liz's mouth, and that's no exaggeration. Sometimes, she stuns me with her observations. Sometimes, she says something so funny and other times her comments are funny and a bit embarrassing.

Here's an observation that surprised us. We were watching the Democratic Debate the other night. Don't make fun. We've found these primary debates to be quite entertaining because some of the candidates who aren't front runners can be surprisingly candid and even humorous. While we were watching it, Hilary started to mention Russia. She just said it once, and Liz picked up on it and said: "Russia. That's where FireBird lives."

I was pretty surprised that my 3-year-old recognized Russia. I asked her where it was, and she said: "Far, far away."

True again.

Of course, I realize that The Little Einsteins "Rocket's Firebird Rescue" deserves the credit for Liz knowing about Russia. In the movie, they need to rescue a Firebird who lives in Russia. So, there's a lot of discussion about Russia.

That was the most recent observation. Now, onto the embarrassing comment. Liz and I were leaving the mall on Saturday and there was a woman walking in front of us wearing tall, black stylish boots with about 4-inch heels. Liz looked at her and LOUDLY said, "Mommy why is that woman wearing THOSE shoes?"

Yikes. I've learned in these situations a parent only has two choices. Say something very funny right away or if you can't think of anything, make an emergency exit. Luckily, we were in the parking lot and our car was to the right, so I began to hurriedly walk to the car. Not before, the woman shouted something back. I couldn't hear what she said, but I think it was a good-natured comment.

Today, she also made a funny comment to me. "Mommy, you have a really long nose."

"Yes, I do Liz."

"Why?"

"Why not."

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

You're much too young to remember this but, in the "olden days" there was a TV show on called "Kids Say the Darndest things". It was hosted by Art Linkletter and it was hysterical! This reminds me of that show. Liz is such a cutie!