Search This Blog

Friday, November 9, 2007

Here we go!

For months, I've read other blogs and thought of starting one, but never did, because I feared it would mean too much writing. I write for a living. However, jotting down thoughts about family is a lot different than writing about 401(k) plans and Individual Retirement Accounts. My purpose for this blog is mostly to update family and friends on our life.

But I also realize that we have a unique situation because our amazing 3-year-old Liz has achondroplasia, which is a form of dwarfism. Achondroplasia is one of the most common forms of dwarfism, but it still only occurs about one in 40,000 to 80,000 births. There are many health issues also associated with achondroplasia. We've been fairly lucky, but have had our scares. More about that later.

We were pretty stunned and surprised by Liz's diagnosis at birth, and were craving information. In the future, some families who have a child with achondroplasia might stumble upon this blog. I'm happy to answer any questions or concerns they might have. Now, that Liz is 3, her personality is so vibrant. Actually, her personality has always been vibrant. She just continues to amaze me. Luckily, many of the earlier health concerns have subsided. Obviously, she'll always be at higher health risks for the rest of her life because of her condition. But overall, we're content to chase her around and try to keep up with her. She's a spitfire and we never know what she'll say or do next.

In some respects, I'm also glad that I chose to write this blog now - rather than when she was first born. Mostly, because I was a big mess then and so worried all of the time. I'll always worry, but just a quick glance at Liz throwing all of her toys all over the house, let's me know she's fine.

I also plan to write the story of her birth, but it brings about a rollercoaster of emotions and will take awhile.

For now, we'll stick with some fun stories of Liz.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Hi Lisa, my name is Jaime and I am mom to Caitlyn who just turned 3 and also has Achondroplasia. I found your blog while searching through some other blogs of mom's of LP's. I have enjoyed reading your posts and look forward to reading more. I have just started my own blog and would like to know if it would be okay if I posted a link to your page? I hope to chat with you more.