Search This Blog

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Sew observant

Shortly after learning that Liz had achondroplasia, I realized that we'd learn so much from her. That's clearly already happened.

I also realized that as she grows up she will be a unique perspective. I imagine that she'll have different views, opinions and sensitivities just because of her condition. Just as I'm sure my perspectives would have been different if I'd have gone through life with achondroplasia.

I think that we'll have more interesting and unique conversations at the dinner table, especially as she ages.

But still, I was surprised by her response a few weeks ago.

We were at my cousin Debbie's baby shower for her newborn Baby Jacob. Jacob was about 1-month old at the time, and Debbie was opening some clothes that were probably size 12 to 15 months. The pants were obviously much too big for Jacob right now and will be used once he grows into them.

Liz was looking at the clothes and then looked at Jacob, and didn't miss a beat when she said: "Those pants will probably need to be hemmed."

Not sure that's something a lot of 3-year-olds would know about.

Yes, we do a lot of hemming at our house. OK. To be completely honest on this one. My wonderful sister-in-laws - Margo and Helen -have done most of the hemming.

But I was still surprised that Liz had picked up on the discussions about hemming. Makes me realize how observant she is to everything around her.

3 comments:

Griner said...

When she starts recommending lifting a waistline a few inches to create a form-flattering empire silhouette, I would go ahead and enroll her in Tim Gunn's School for Gifted Youngsters.

:)

Jennifer said...

She's a riot! I can see from her pictures that she has quite the personality! I bought Cat a sewing machine two Christmases ago. It hasn't been out of the box! I think I will be giving her lessons.

Jennifer

Abacus said...

Angela told me that story when she got back from the shower - that's great!