Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Hedger goes to Hollywood

Posted by Brian C. Hedger
Hedgeradventures special correspondent

It wasn't exactly the way I'd always envisioned myself making it to Hollywood.

I drove a rented white Chrysler Sebring instead of a convertible Porche. I wasn't wearing sunglasses, let alone designer shades that are apparently quite popular on The Strip. And my two hot blondes were about 1,800 miles away in Indiana (one trying to get the other to stop putting things up her nose).

So, my first visit to LaLa Land could've been better. But it certainly could've been worse. It could've been me trying to dig the rock out of Lizzy's nostril. And she's very lucky it wasn't.

First, having this great point-and-shoot-on-steroids camera from work, I would've taken a photo of the lodged stone with the super zoom function.

And then, upon looking at it, I would've passed out.

So, I guess things really do happen for a reason.

Anyway, during my brief two days out in California, I got a lot done. I helped an Olympian sprinter move into a new apartment, interviewed him, got a few decent pictues of him practicing, wrote several stories about him, traversed the 405 and 5 highways with ease, drove to the Pacific Palisades via Sunset Blvd., and cruised the Pacific Coast Highway for a stretch.

I also took Sunset Blvd. back East, through Brentwood (O.J. murders)toward Bel Air (Fresh Prince land), Westwood (UCLA), Beverly Hills (Weezer, TV show from my youth) and, finally, Hollywood (Showbiz and Adult Entertainment capital of the Universe).

And no, I did NOT experience any of the latter, thank you. I did, however, spend a few minutes checking out the Scientology store, where I was actively recruited by two starlet looking women who were probably L. Ron Hubbard's kin.

Also, in my quest for a good photo of the Hollywood sign, I met actor Dorian Harewood on the Hollyridge Trail in what I assume was the Hollywood Hills area. His most famous big picture appearance was playing "Eightball" in Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket. He's also had recurring roles in a number of TV shows, including Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman and 7th Heaven. And he played Jesse Owens in "The Jesse Owens Story."

I think his wife, Ann McCurry (who was also there) was Lt. Nara on Star Trek The Next Generation.

Anyway, here are some pics from the trip. Next time I do Hollywood, my two hot blondes are coming with me!


This is David Neville. He's from Merrillville, Ind., and now lives in Santa Clarita, Calif. He runs the 400 meters very fast. Olympic fast. Go for the gold, David!






You can never have too many pictures of the ocean. That's what I always say.




Any fan of "The Big Lebowski" knows why I took this one of the In 'N Out Burger. Dude.



I've decided that I need at least one obligatory flag shot in every batch of photos I post on here. Ha! So, here's one of the flag atop Capitol Records at dusk.



As Kid Rock might say, "Spent all my time at Hollywood and Vine ..."
That's where this one was taken.



Guess we know what the Hollywood seagulls think of smarmy former sportscaster-turned Access Hollywood talking head Pat O'Brien, eh?




Spidey clowning around with kids for "tips" in front of the famous Chinese Theater, where all the famous hand and footprints are in the concrete.




A few shots of the Hollywood sign taken from the Hollyridge Trail (a hiking and horseback riding trail). The last one is of me and Dorian Harewood, the actor. See if you recognize him.







Oh, I almost forgot what else I saw up on the Hollyridge Trail. There was a small film crew (two very strange-looking people) filming this guy who was dressed as an alien (complete with antennae). I watched them film their shot from afar, and the alien guy, who looked strangely similar to Mr. Spock, kept saying, "When I come back in the future, I want to be ..." and then I kept missing what his punchline was.

I imagined it was something like, "... a better actor than to be dressed up as an alien, with Dollar Store antennae on my head, saying stupid lines like this."

But I could be wrong.

Anyway, here's a pic of them from a distance. They didn't seem open to talking with ordinary human hikers like me, so I kept my distance. It's a dark shot, but you get the point I think.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stumbled across your blog and think you're H-O-T! I'm a hot blonde, or that's what my guy friends say. When are you coming to LA nexxxt?

Anonymous said...

OK, Lisa, good gag.

It's nice that you're trying to boost this old man's ego and all ... but you're still the All-American "hottie" in this marriage, remember?

-- Brian

Lisa said...

Ha Ha!
Not from me. Sounds like my hubby has a fan.

Anonymous said...

Didn't want to get you in trouble with the wife -- don't hate! I was just lookin' for a good time. buh-bye!

QGIRL said...

Great post Brian. Sounds like you had a jammed packed blast in L.A.

Lucky it wasn't you going to the E.R. with Lizzy, huh!

p.s. Looks like you attract the blondes. Ha!

Unknown said...

Hahahahahahahaha! Hedger has a faaaaaan! That's awesome! Bet it's a dude, too!

Anonymous said...

lol ... i DO NOT have an adams apple, thank you very much!

Brian, you're dreamy. (sigh)

Anonymous said...

OK,guys, I have to confess. It's me, Greco (Joe, no Quyen). I was playing a joke. Sorry, Brian, if i ruined any kind of fantasy you may have had about some internet hottie stalking you online.

So, I guess, um, Quinn was right!

Unknown said...

@ Greco: Hahahahahaha! Well-played, my friend!

Lisa said...

Too funny! Great job Greco. Actually, Brian told me he thought it was a guy too...after he realized that the writing wasn't my style. Joe, I really liked the, "no hate" line. HA HA!

For the rest of you reading this who may be confused, Joe Greco is one of our longtime friends, and he's a constant prankster.

Brian Hedger said...

I KNEW it!

Joe, sorry to say but ... as a woman .. you're kind of a tramp.

Haha.

Jennifer said...

Gosh, I was just going to comment that I recognize the actor and that the California trip looked fun. Seems like kind of a boring comment now. And Brian, sorry but I'm old enough to be your mother so I won't comment on any hotness:):)

Anonymous said...

Ha!

Yeah, if I was a woman, and single, I'd be the town tramp.

Brian Hedger said...

Not me, Joe. I'd be too "high maintainence" to be a floozie if I were a single woman.

I would, however, wear sundresses and designer sunglasses as big as my head!

That's what they do out in Hollywood I'm told.

And Jennifer ... thanks for being brave enough to join this crazy comment thread. It's good to get some real comments on here from time to time. Right?