Search This Blog

Monday, July 14, 2008

A Rocky Day

We had a delightful weekend until Sunday night. Brian headed off to California before the sun even rose on Sunday morning. Liz and I lounged about at our neighborhood pool for a few hours.

We'd finished dinner and were on a nice evening stroll to the park when Liz calmly said: "I have a rock in my nose." She said it with the same ease, she might mention that her shoe was untied.

Sure enough, there was in fact a tiny rock embedded in her right nostril. I hurried home to see if I could try and get it out. That wasn't going to happen. It was in part because of how far the rock had gone up her nose, combined with her tiny nasal passages.

Most readers of this blog know that kids with achondroplasia have tiny nasal passages, and I tend to think Liz's are even on the "more narrow side" if that's possible.

I called the doctor and he confirmed we needed to head to the ER. Off, we went.

It took several tries by the ER doctor and three of us to hold down a screaming Liz - before he finally got it out. He kept asking for smaller instruments. Obviously, there was a bit of blood but no damage - just some pain getting it out for Liz.

At her ER visit, Liz got a coloring book about visiting the hospital along with crayons, a teddy bear, a Popsicle and lots of adoring comments. I got the rock that I'll keep as a reminder about sticking foreign objects in one's body. Though, to be honest, I don't think I need to be reminded, but maybe it'll find it's place in a scrapbook.

I kept trying to remind Liz about the lessons we learned. As she was sobbing after the "extraction process" I asked her what we learned, and her response through sobs was "to be brave."

Yes, that's an important lesson. But what was I hoping she would say is that she learned not to put anything in her nose, ear, etc...

I think it may take a bit for that lesson to sink in. I was working from home today and went downstairs at snack time. I got Liz some string cheese and I had some fruit. While we were eating, Liz's babysitter looked up - stunned and said: "Liz, don't put that string cheese in your nose. Do you want to go to the ER again?"

Yikes. Talk about a stubborn child. And, it truly is amazing how quickly it happens.

I'm afraid she might be remembering fond memories of getting a bear and ice cream from her ER visit. So, we had more talks today about the "painful" extraction process and how we don't ever want to do that again.

Hopefully, a lesson has been learned. Ultimately, time will tell.

7 comments:

Kim said...

Oh no! Did Liz read about Preston's adventures with the pea a few weeks back? Preston still is telling me about the pea up his nose. I pray everyday that he keeps things out of there-even his finger, but if that is the worst thing than I'll take it.
Poor Liz. Hope she keeps her little pretty nose clean!

QGIRL said...

http://www.babyzone.com/baby_toddler_preschooler_health/photos_things_kids_stick_up_nose

There is actually a Top 10 Things Kids Stick Up Their Nose list. Check it out.

Rocks didn't make the list though. Shows you how creative and clever Lizzy is!

Glad it ended well for you Lisa. Of course Brian had to be out of town! He misses all the fun.

QGIRL said...

bummer, the link got messed up. Anyhow, it is at Baby Zone if anyone is interested.

Lisa said...

Yes, Kim I did read about Preston's adventures. In fact, as it was happening, I kept thinking: How on earth did she get that thing out. I would have called your cell for suggestions - if I had it. : )
Quyen, I'll check out that link. Sounds interesting!

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh! I can only hope we will not have to go through that! ugh. It does not sound fun. I like what she said though about her lesson learned. Too cute..I hope it has sunk in!. Cute story for later on :)

Tonya said...

LOL! I am thinking she must of read Preston's pea episode!! Liz, DON'T PUT ANYTHING IN YOUR NOSE!!!

How funny!

Jennifer said...

Good grief! Liz and Preston need to get together. Maybe they can have a contest to see who can stick what up their noses!