Search This Blog

Sunday, December 7, 2008

No boys allowed

Like everyone else, we've been swamped with holiday events, and this is actually my last "free" weekend of the holidays.

So, before I become that blogger that starts posting Thanksgiving photos at Easter, I must pass on some great pictures from turkey day.

We were in my hometown of Goshen with my Grandma and Grandpa Shidler and the whole gang. It had been quite some time since we'd been there for Thanksgiving. We were long overdue!

My grandma makes these legendary fabulous mashed potatoes - you know the ones with sour cream, cream cheese, and probably lots of other fattening ingredients (like butter) that I'd prefer to pretend don't exist. Instead, I just relish how delicious this dish is and the fact that no one else can truly do mashed potatoes like Grandma Shidler - that will probably never change! She's the expert!

Grandma also makes her classic minced meat pie and every Thanksgiving, typically several people walk up to it and hesitantly look at it saying: "Now, what's this?" For those of you who are fans minced meat pie, you'd be in heaven. Grandma is famous for all of her pies.

But the biggest fan of minced meat pie is Grandpa Shidler. Luckily, since the rest of us aren't huge fans of minced meat pie, he gets pretty much the entire pie to himself - to enjoy on Thanksgiving and the week afterward as leftovers.

It's always fun when we get together because three of the cousins (all girls) are about one month apart in age, and Anna, is just one year older then the three girls. So, there are four girls that get to giggle, run, cause mischief, giggle and run screaming through the house. What could be more fun!

This year's favorite activities were playing a game in which the whole purpose was that no boys were allowed. Apparently, they had some type of shop and only girls were allowed. They also enjoyed playing outside and decorating the Christmas tree.

Here they are outside - tumbling all around.











Now, it's time for inside mischief.



Speaking of mischief - check out silly Anna.



Tree Time.



12 comments:

Destini said...

Wow, looks like those girls had lots of fun!!!! And I am with you, I love those mashed potatoes, my "Granny" makes them, too! Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

What a fun Thanksgiving! I'd be one of those people questionably eyeing the mince meat pie - I have to say, I have no idea what it actually involves! Those girls are just too cute together.

Debbie said...

Looks like fun! Sorry we missed it. We can't wait to see all of you at Christmas!

Jennifer said...

Ooooh! Lots of PINK in this post!!!Love that Lizzie. Happy Holidays to the Hedgers.

Becky said...

Wow, what a great day! It's so nice for Lizzy to have cousins so close in age. It looks like they had a blast!

Alex said...

looks like such a fun day!

Sarah said...

It sounds like so much fun and yummy. It is so true that no one can make X like grandma. Whatever it may be...and regardless if you have their receipe it never seems to be the same does it?!
I grew up with all girls in my family too. 1 sister and 5 girl cousins all fairly close in age..it's so much fun being around a bunch of fun girls :)

Anonymous said...

Oh dear - Are they going to keep up the "No boys allowed" game when Zach and the other boys come at Christmas? This could get interesting! :-) Look forward to seeing everyone soon!

Greene Family said...

It looks like you guys had a great Thanksgiving! How fun that the cousins are so close in age! It looks like they had a blast!

Jaime said...

It sure looks and sounds like you had a great day! The girls, dressed all in their pink, looks cute together. The mashed potatoes sounds wonderful! Great pictures!

Kim said...

How much fun did that day look for the girls? I can see many slumber parties in your future Lisa! She is as always the most adorable little girl. I just want to hug her! Those mashed potatoes sound awesome!

Mandy said...

It looks like you had a great time. I have to say that I am not a huge fan of the mince meat pie. I think I would be staring at it too.
The pictures were awesome.