Search This Blog

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Hash browns anyone?

On Saturday, we went to our favorite breakfast place for the usual grub. Brian normally works on Saturdays but was able to join Liz and I this morning before heading to physical therapy for his knee.

Liz always gets the kids breakfast combo and I get an adult meal that comes with hash browns. I always give her half because her meal comes without.

I've taken to that habit of often putting a cute, "ie" at the end of words when I talk with Liz. I know this can be irritating but sometimes it works. For instance, when she wants us to rub her back, she calls it "backie" and we do too.

Then, there's also "bathie" and "scratchies."

So, you'll understand why it didn't seem like a big deal for me to say to Liz at breakfast on Saturday: "Would you like more Hash Brownies?"

Brian turned to me and said: "Do you realize what you just said?"

I didn't think I had to explain it to him. He'd been guilty of adding an "ie" on occasion as well.

But still, I said: "Oh, you know, I was doing that cute thing where I add "ies" to the item. Instead of hash browns. It becomes hash brownies.

Brian's response: "You just asked our child if she wants HASH BROWNIES."

Oops. So, perhaps the cute "ie" rule can't be used for all items.

Of course, she didn't notice anything.

And, hopefully, she'll read this post in 25 years and say: "Mom, what are hash brownies?"

Well, at least I can hope.

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

I guess I wasn't really much of a child of the sixties because I had to think a little to "get" this story. :)

Angela said...

It took me a while to get it, too :)

Lisa said...

HA!! Well, that's how I felt when Brian was giving me a hard time about saying that phrase. Probably better that way. : )

Tonya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tonya said...

I got it now! I had to read it three times, plus the comments...hash brownies..LOL

opps...deleted the last one...guess I had hash brownies...LOL

Unknown said...

sad that i got it right away. i think that speaks badly to my own future parenting skills!
my brother couldn't pronounce his "sp" sound, so instead of spooky, he said "pooky," etc.
it was one of those things that became part of the family lingo, even today. so we were at breakfast the other day and my mom got an enormous soup spoon instead of a regular one. so she announces to the table "i have a giant...[and you can guess the rest.]"

Lisa said...

Ha! Emily, love that story. Actually, I'm pretty certain others have "gotten it" right away and just not posted. : )

jbyrdie said...

That story is hilarious Lisa! (I thought I should finally comment on here!) This is Jennifer btw.