Search This Blog

Sunday, March 9, 2008

A little star

I just wanted to post that my friends at "How Life is Measured" were featured today in the Flint Journal.

If you go here, you can read the story about Owen and his parents. His mom Cat and I have e-mailed periodically and she's posted on this site as well as her mother, Owen's proud grandma, Jennifer. They actually live quite close to Brian's family in Michigan and I hope we'll be able to meet up one time when we're visiting.

Owen just turned a year-old in February and is doing quite well, other than the common childhood illnesses. But if you read the article, you'll see his journey to this world, was quite stressful and that's putting it mildly. His parents were told he had a lethal form of dysplasia and he would die within hours of his birth. They had a priest on hand for the birth.

Fortunately, Owen was born kicking and screaming and the family just celebrated his 1st birthday and he's as active as Liz was at that age!

I think it's great to have articles like this about little people, because it helps the general public better understand what our families face.

Also, People Magazine ran an article about the Graf family who had a boy Will who was born with achondroplasia and then the family adopted Max from Korea, who also has achondroplasia. I didn't find a link to the article on the web site, but if I do (or someone else does), I'll post.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I'm so excited to meet you guys! My brother also lives in Brighton and Cat works in Brighton. Next time you come please let us know so we can arrange to meet for lunch or something. And it's true, I am a proud grandma. My two grandboys and my two step granddaughters are the best ever.

Owen's Proud Grandma!