Search This Blog

Sunday, March 9, 2008

What's said behind your back

Last week, was a pretty hard week for us in terms of the comments people made to us directly and behind our backs. I had to deal with acquaintances who said some fairly rude and insensitive comments about little people.

In both cases, they were quite embarrassed and ashamed when approached. One of the guy's who knows about Liz and said something as a joke, apologized dozens of times, after I called him out.

But these comments put a damper on the week and reminded us that there are so many people who think it's all right to joke about little people. In both cases, these individuals aren't jerks and are quite sensitive to people of differences, but our society seems to accept humor about short statured individuals and it's quite frustrating.

So, rather than focusing on those specific incidences, I'll highlight how our week ended - which was fairly positive.

I took Liz to the doctor late Friday afternoon because Brian was worried she might have strep throat. My "gut" Mommy instinct told me it was merely a cold, but better safe than sorry.

Dr. K confirmed my suspicion and said it is just a cold. But while at the doctors office, one of the nurses we've grown to know quite well began asking me about Liz and a number of issues about her growing up.

She started talking about how bright Liz is, which makes any parent glow.

Then, she shared this story: "One time when you brought Liz in when she was about 2. You guys had just left, and Dr. K. said 'You know that girl's going to be the valedictorian of her class. She'll just need to stand on a step stool to reach the podium.'"

It was a simple comment and one that we didn't hear about until now, and it was the perfect timing.

So, who said all comments spoken behind your back are bad? If only they were all like that!

5 comments:

Catherine Merciez Wright said...

Lisa,
It stinks to have to hear these comments. The other day, Dan and I had to intervene before someone continued their story bout "midget tossing". Uuuggg! Luckily I think the majority of the people are like your Dr. K. Hopefully people like us can pave the way for more understanding for our children! Thanks for the post about Owen!
Cat

Kim said...

Lisa,
Dr. K. is the type of person we all need in our corner. Unfortunately as parents of LPs the comments are more about what is directly seen, their height. I agree with you that for some reason it is seen as ok to make insensitive comments for short stature, but I do think that society is getting more accepting and these comments will be few and far between!
-Kim

Tonya said...

If everyone were like Dr. K! Yes, they'll need a step stool, but for sheer determination, not help required and I think that's what counts! Comments will, unfortantely get made as Kim says. It's the one think people see. If they had DS, it would be "Aww, how sad", but because these kids are short, but like every other child they are looked at as misfortuned or deprived because their short.

Jennifer said...

I think those "acquaintences" definitely would have had a piece of my mind. And honestly, I'm glad they were embarrassed and apologetic and I hope they continue to be embarrassed. People are people no matter their size. (I'm beginning to sound like Dr Seuss. Isn't that a line from one of his books??) I'm not sure how I'll handle ignorant comments when they're directed Owen's way. Hopefully I'll react to educate and not annihilate.

Sarah said...

I am sorry you and all of us at one point will have to hear ignorant comments, and hope that we as parents to these beautiful sweet children will help educate those around us. I think Kaela has already taught many people to be more accepting and open and I hope more and more will be like Dr. K. I think you are great for being able to focus on the good though and not the bad! I know it's hard to do, but it's so important because these are the people that really matter to our little ones :)