Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The reinforcements have arrived

Liz and I came home Sunday and I quickly unpacked and spent four hours getting our Christmas decorations up. Most of that time was dealing with the lights and cursing beneath my breath, but smiling brightly around Liz while wearing my Santa hat and jovially making hot chocolate.

In hindsight, it wasn't a very smart idea to add putting out the Christmas decorations to our already packed Sunday after being gone for four days.

But I knew we'd have no other time to get the decorations up, and even though life has been and will continue to be quite chaotic, I want Liz to enjoy the season. So, we're in Christmas mode!

By early today, I realized I was quickly losing my mind from juggling too many tasks. Today, it became crazy completing my duties as a full-time working-mom while also caring for Brian. My mother-in-law had decided to come today and at first I thought that I wouldn't need her help until after his surgery. I couldn't have been more wrong.

I felt tremendous amounts of stress roll off my shoulders when she arrived armed with health food and extra patience. She and Liz have been making crafts and playing various games while I've been working.

Luckily, Dad was released from the hospital on Monday afternoon and the main issues have been regulating his blood thinners. It will be a long task and he's also getting shots twice daily to help regulate the blood thinners. Hopefully, that won't last for long.

He's slowly recuperating but won't be back to work for another week or so. Brian's been able to work from home, which has been a huge help as well. His surgery is scheduled for first thing Thursday morning. The doctor's office called yesterday to warn us he'd be in "extreme pain." Great. Just what we needed to hear.

Not much positive to say after that sentence - except that the Christmas decorations do look quite nice. Even though it may not have been that wise to hurry and get the decorations up, my mother-in-law made my day, when she asked if my tree was one that came with the lights already on it!

Well, it was clear right then - I definitely deserve to wear that Santa hat.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

We will keep Brian in our thoughts and prayers on Thursday. Hope all goes well with the surgery. Isn't supportive family a blessing! Of course, I'm sure Brian's mom is enjoying the "Grandma Time" with Liz too! Getting in some good old fashioned spoiling!

Ralph B said...

Great blog, I enjoyed reading it.