Search This Blog

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Snow, blizzards and nor'easters

Well, it's official. We are staying home for the holidays. It was a tough decision, but because of Brian's knee and well, the fact that we're just completely exhausted, we've decided to stay home.

We've been traveling a lot leading up to the holidays and it seems any day that we need to travel more than 35 miles, that's the day with freezing rain, black ice, etc..

Today, we're heading to Michigan City, which is right about 36 miles from out house. Of course, we're expected to get 5 to 7 inches of snow today, but I don't think we'll be getting that snow until evening. Don't worry. I'm not holding my breath because our luck usually isn't that good.

We're taking Brian's mom to the train so she can head back to Michigan after helping us the last week and a half. I definitely couldn't have done it without her! My mom will also be arriving as the "relief pitcher" from the commuter train (South Shore) about five minutes after Brian's mom leaves.

I'm sure those five minutes without any help will be fairly insane, but we'll do our best. I'm only slightly joking.

We still need help because I'm heading to New York tomorrow for the annual staff meeting.

As the entire country knows, the Northeast is expected to get hammered by a severe snowstorm. Some are calling it a blizzard. Others say it's definitely a Nor'easter.

Doesn't matter what it's called, it will make for horrible travel conditions. I'm fully prepared that my flight will likely be cancelled/delayed but hopefully I can get a new flight that evening or Monday morning.

See what I mean about our luck.


Meanwhile, we're also expected to get snow in Chicago and Northwest Indiana, which means that I'll have to contend with snowy runways in Chicago and New York.

Hopefully, I'll be able to make it back on Tuesday evening without any problems.

Moving on to good news. Brian's rehab of his knee is doing amazingly well. He'll get his stitches out on Monday and he'll be back to work on Monday. He'll be headed to sunny Arizona at the end of the month to cover the Hoosiers in their first bowl game in more than a decade.

I'm pretty sure he'll be blogging about it, and I'll forward that address once I get it.

For those of you who have asked, my dad is also doing better. We're just working hard to get the blood-thinner regulated and realize that's a long chore.

Liz continues to be amazingly active. Since it's been rotten outside, she's done a lot of crafts. I helped Liz and her Mimi Hedger make a Christmas mobile. Quite cute. She's also finger-painted several "gifts" for family.

We've done some snow angels outside and once I'm back from New York, we can all enjoy the snow...that is until Brian needs to fly to Arizona. Trust me, I can already guess what that forecast will be without looking.

4 comments:

QGIRL said...

Hi Hedgers! Glad to hear that everyone is slowly healing. It is so nice that you have family to help out. Have a safe trip to NYC Lisa, I am so jealous of you! I'd fly to NY in a blizzard any day!

Jennifer said...

We just had a flight from Ft. Myers cancelled last Tuesday due to the "ice storm" here in Flint. The airport was closed! What a crock! There wasn't any ice, snow, wind, freeze....just the threat of all of the above. So annoying! So glad Brian is healing. More pictures of Liz please! Wouldn't mind meeting you and Brian through photos either! Merry Christmas to all.

Tonya said...

I can finally post!

I am glad to hear Brian is feeling better and your dad is recovering!

We are in Michigan and we got a few centimeters of snow...we were prepared for several feet! The night isn't over yet though!

Have a safe flight! Don't worry, our luck isn't any better! I am kinda use to it now :)

Catherine Merciez Wright said...

Bummer you can't travel! Merry Christmas!
Cat